Heading into the Easter long-weekend both the Durham District School Board (DDSB) and the Durham Catholic District School Board (DCDSB) are telling parents to get ready for a possible switch to online learning.
A decision on whether or not to close schools for in-person learning has not been made by the province yet, but is expected to be made this week.
Earlier this week, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said the spring break scheduled for April 12 will go ahead as planned.
That could change depending on advice from Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams.
Some are speculating schools may shutdown after the Easter long-weekend or after the spring break as COVID-19 cases rise.
In an email to parents on Wednesday DDSB says “While we do not currently anticipate a closure or a shift to remote learning, please ensure your child brings home all personal belongings and necessary items (i.e. spring shoes, learning resources) prior to leaving for both breaks. In the event that there are sudden changes, we have plans in place to support remote student learning.”
Also in an email to parents DCDSB says “While we have not been notified of an anticipated school closure following the Easter weekend or April break, we are encouraging students to bring home all personal belongings, technology or school supplies in the event that we are required to shift to online learning. Thank you for your ongoing cooperation and understanding as we endeavour to prepare for all possible outcomes following the long weekend.”
Premier Doug Ford is set to announce new COVID-19 restrictions on Thursday, but its not clear what they will be.