Canada’s two biggest political parties saw a dip in donations during the worst months of the pandemic.
New statistics from Elections Canada show that the federal Conservatives and Liberals took in less money between April and June 2020 than during the same timeframe in 2018.
However, the NDP, Green Party and Bloc Québécois all saw upticks in donations.
During the second quarter (April-June) of 2020:
- The Conservatives earned $4-million, compared to $6-million in 2018.
- The Liberals earned $2.6-million, compared to $3.1-million in 2018.
- The New Democrats earned $1.3-million, compared to $964,000 in 2018.
- The Greens earned $721,000, compared to $572,000 in 2018.
- The Bloc earned $134,000, compared to $44,000 in 2018.