Ontario government severs ties with WE Charity amid controversy

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on facebook

Ontario government severs ties with WE Charity amid controversy's Profile


The Ontario government says it will not be renewing an existing contract with WE Charity amid a controversy that has sparked a conflict of interest probe against the prime minister.

The decision, which was confirmed in a statement to Global News Friday afternoon, said that the Ministry of Education “has been directed to not renew the contract with WE and to investigate the expenditures to date.”

Read more:
Trudeau says he anticipated ‘perception issues’ over WE Charity student grant deal

“We are deeply concerned and troubled by the allegations against WE,” read the statement. “This is taxpayer money. Hard working people in this province deserve to know that their money is delivering value, and these allegations raise serious questions.”

The Ontario government did not, however, specify which set of allegations they were referring to in their statement.

Story continues below advertisement

WE had been previously been chosen to deliver a $912-million student grant program but the deal was scrapped amid criticism over the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau‘s family’s ties with the group.






Trudeau’s testimony on the WE Charity controversy


Trudeau’s testimony on the WE Charity controversy

Revelations of further ties between federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s family to the charity raised further criticism over the grant’s handling.

Speaking during his testimony to the House of Commons finance committee on Thursday, Trudeau expressed regret as he did not recuse himself from the decision to award the sole-sourced contract to WE.

 

Read more:
5 takeaways from Trudeau’s testimony in WE Charity scandal investigation

During a hearing to the finance committee on Tuesday, WE Charity founders Craig and Marc Kielburger defended the decision to administer the federal student service grant program as “a favour we were doing to be helpful to Canada.”

Story continues below advertisement

The government of Ontario also did not specify which contract it was not going to renew with the charity.

WE Charity was set to administer WE Schools, a $250,000 “year-long education program that aims to nurture empathy and compassion in students” by “engaging students and teachers in local and global actions through classroom and after-school curriculum and resources,” according to a June 18 news release detailing newly announced mental health initiatives for Ontario students.






Finance committee grills Trudeau during WE Charity testimony


Finance committee grills Trudeau during WE Charity testimony

The charity, which has longstanding ties with the Ontario government, stated on its website to have first started its “service-learning programs” in 1999 when it had helped support the rollout of Ontario’s 40-hour community service requirement for high school graduation.

The charity’s website also cites a partnership with the Toronto District School Board to develop program to train “youth and equip educators and students about service-learning” as well as a having programs that are supported by 3,200 schools across Ontario.

Story continues below advertisement

A total of 7,000 schools and groups are also “actively engaged” in the programming, according to the charity.




© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on facebook

Want to be a sponsor?

Fill in your details and we'll be in touch