The Ontario government and the federal government made an announcement Saturday on new immigration measures coming to the province, which will double the number of immigrants being welcomed under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.
The program brings in new Canadians with training and expertise in desired fields, like skilled trades and health care.
The new agreement will see a slow increase from the 9,750 skilled workers in 2022 to 18,000 annually by 2025.
The agreement comes after the federal government announced last month that they would fast track Visa applications of people from parts of Turkey and Syria devastated by a magnitude 7.8 earthquake on February 6th.
“From 9,000 immigration spots in 2021 to over 18,000 in 2025, today’s announcement is a significant win for the people of Ontario and will help us control our economic destiny by selecting more of the skilled immigrants we know are well-placed to succeed and build stronger communities for all of us,” said Provincial Labour Minister Monte McNaughton.
“As we remain focused on addressing the acute labour market shortages and building a strong economy into the future, one thing remains certain: immigration is a key part of the solution,” said Federal Immigration Minister Sean Fraser. “As Canada’s flagship regional economic immigration program, the Provincial Nominee Program’s increasing growth will support the long-term well-being of communities in Ontario.”