If you see a coyote, the City of Oshawa is asking you to let them know.
Officials say urban communities often see more coyote activity around this time of year.
To report a sighting, you can click here, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-436-3311.
If you encounter a coyote:
- Pick up small children and pets.
- Stand still. Do not run or turn your back.
- Make yourself big by waving your arms above your head.
- Be loud and assertive.
- Slowly back away while keeping an eye on the coyote.
To prevent coyotes from visiting your yard:
- Remove food. Secure your garbage. Keep pet food inside and clean up spilled bird seed.
- Keep it clean. Trim back the bushes and scoop your dog’s droppings.
- Block any openings into your yard and deck.
- Keep your dog on a leash and supervise them when outside.
- Bring your pets in for the night.
It is illegal to feed coyotes in Oshawa. Feeding them makes them less afraid of humans and more likely to attack small pets or children.
To learn more, click here.