The provincial government has taken back a claim that all long-term care residents who wanted to get a COVID-19 vaccine had received their first dose.
Officials walked back the claim just hours after it was announced through an official statement.
Earlier in the pandemic, the province promised to have at least one dose of the vaccine given to every resident who wanted one by February 10.
On Thursday morning, Long-Term Care Minister Merrilee Fullerton said the government’s goal had been met. She apologized for the claim by the afternoon.
A spokesperson for the minister says “miscommunication” led to the error, which the government “regrets.”
Krystle Caputo says residents in a few long-term care homes have yet to access a first dose.
Outstanding homes which have not received the COVID-19 vaccine will be finished in the coming days, according to the province